Remember what Bilbo used to say...

" It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."





Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Durian the King of Asian fruits

DURIAN
"It smelled like you'd buried somebody holdinga big wheel of Stilton in his arms, then dug him up a few weeks later." ~Anthony Bourdain (1956 --) http://www.foodreference.com/html/qdurian.html  

My take on Durian fruit...It smells like soured milk crossed with stinky Frito feet and  moldy oranges mashed together to make a custard paste. Have I tried it yet? NO, I hate to admit it, but I can't get pass the smell. I am not jumping up and down to try it, but since we are going on our sixth year in Asia... We should try it...we try so many other things (like goat balls) without over thinking it.

It is the SMELL! It is really hard to get passed. Anyway, we found Durian ice Cream in the market and decided we should try this. Who doesn't like ice cream? How bad could it taste?The smell should be toned down...that would make it easier for my nose.

I have to make this disclaimer, we are not a picky eaters, and we at least try everything once. The Durian fruit has been one of a few things that we haven't been able get passed the smell.
OK...here I go....
It has the appearance of play doh, the consistency of harden soft serve ice cream  and it smells like something all its own. Better yet it isn't stinky. The taste is smooth, sweet and at the back of my tongue I can taste sour, but I can't think of anything to compare it too. Not too helpful.

Our daughter does not like it, she spit it out. My husband and I finished ours, but I don't think I will eat any more.  The aftertaste is not the best...very sour.When I burped it was smell of a sour stomach.

We tried it! We are one step closer to trying the actual fruit.
If you want to know more about durian- check out Wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian - I am not a big supporter of Wikipedia, but they did a good job on the information.

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?" ~Frank Scullyhttp://www.quotegarden.com/risk.html

No comments: